Jerry Kelly: Ask The Tech
Q: Does it really matter what size furnace I use..? Aren't they all the same?
There are a several reasons why you might have an oversized furnace in your home. It stems back to the fact that, once upon a time, homes used to require larger furnaces. As little as a few decades ago, homes weren't nearly as tightly constructed as they are now. As a result, there was a lot of heat loss due to poor insulation, as well as to gaps in windows and doors.
A: It absolutely matters. And they're not remotely the same.
But homes today are very tightly constructed, and it has become common practice to weatherstrip and caulk sources of possible air leaks. As a result, homes don't require huge furnaces. What they require is an appropriate system for the size, dimensions and location of the home.
Click Here to Learn Why Size Does Matter >>
Q: Is my air conditioner more like a refrigerator... or a car?
What happens when you run your car continuously for thousands of miles without getting it serviced? I'm sure avoiding all of those expensive oil changes, inspections, and minor repairs is tempting. But of course, you understand the possible outcome of neglecting your vehicle — total and complete failure of one or more major components, not to mention a much bigger, expensive problem in the long run.
A: Other than being cold, your air conditioner is nothing like a fridge... but it's actually a LOT like a car.
Your air conditioner really isn't much different. An A/C can run the equivalent of 60,000-80,000 miles in just one summer. You don't wait that long to have your car serviced!
Get Better Gas Mileage From Your Air Conditioner >>
Q: Is Carbon Monoxide poisoning really all that dangerous?
Like every gas-burning appliance in your home, your furnace produces a certain amount of carbon monoxide (CO). A properly operating furnace poses no threat to the health of you or your family, but problems such as a cracked heat exchanger can result in dangerous carbon monoxide levels. And if the CO levels are too high, they can even be life-threatening.
A: Absolutely. Click here for a local news story concerning Carbon Monoxide poisoning...
What makes carbon monoxide especially dangerous is that it is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas. As a result, it's very important to understand the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning so that you can take the necessary safety measures in the unfortunate event that you or someone in your home becomes ill from a CO leak.
Click Here to Learn More >>