Like every gas-burning appliance in your home, your furnace produces a certain amount of carbon monoxide (CO). Although a properly operating furnace poses no threat to the health of you or your family, problems such as a cracked heat exchanger can result in excess levels of carbon monoxide in your air. If the CO levels are too high, they can even be life-threatening. In fact, a family in O’Fallon, MO, recently had a very close call with a carbon monoxide leak from a dirty furnace.
What makes carbon monoxide especially dangerous is that it is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas. As a result, it’s very important to understand the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning so that you can take the necessary safety measures in the unfortunate event that you or someone in your home becomes ill from a CO leak.
These are the top 7 symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning that you should be aware of. In general, the greater the severity of the symptoms, the larger the concentration of CO could be in your air.
Obviously, it’s best not to wait until you’re experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning to know if the CO levels in your home are too high. It’s important to install home carbon monoxide detectors in all of the necessary places so that you and your family can know about CO leaks as soon as they occur. A certified technician can also identify potential risks of CO leaks during annual preventive maintenance checks on your furnace.
If you have any question about the carbon monoxide levels in your air, or would like to have an air quality test done on your home, contact Jerry Kelly, your St. Louis area heating and cooling company.
ALL of Our Technicians are NATE Certified
We’re Here for You 8:00am - 8:00pm
We Offer a 12 Month Buy Back Guarantee
We'll Never Smoke or Swear in Your Home
There is NO Bait & Switch With Our Pricing
We Have Been in the Industry Since 1977
Clean, Uniformed, and Certified Technicians
100% Client Satisfaction Guaranteed
Free 2nd Opinions
Free Estimates and Service Calls