Furnaces can run on various different fuel sources, but natural gas is the most common in most parts of the country, including the St. Louis area. If you currently have a natural gas furnace or you're looking to buy a new one in the near future, it's important to understand how energy-efficiency plays a role in the operating costs of your unit. So let's take a look at how to determine and maximize the efficiency of a natural gas furnace.
The efficiency of a natural gas furnace can be determined by looking at its AFUE rating. This rating shows what percentage of fuel a furnace is able to convert into heat. In a furnace with an 85% AFUE rating, for example, 85% of the fuel that is consumed is converted to heat and the other 15% is lost. The higher the AFUE rating, the more efficient the furnace is.
In order to receive an Energy Star rating, a furnace in the northern region of the United States must have an AFUE rating of 95 percent. Along with having a properly sealed and insulated home, upgrading to an Energy Star-rated furnace can lead to great savings on your unit's operating costs.
In order to maximize the efficiency of your natural gas furnace, it takes more than properly installing a unit with a high efficiency rating. You must also take good care of your furnace throughout its operating life. Three of the best ways you can do this are:
If you have any questions about the efficiency of your natural gas furnace, or if you'd like a heating system serviced or installed in your home, contact Jerry Kelly, your St. Louis area heating and cooling company.
ALL of Our Technicians are NATE Certified
We’re Here for You 8:00am - 8:00pm
We Offer a 12 Month Buy Back Guarantee
We'll Never Smoke or Swear in Your Home
There is NO Bait & Switch With Our Pricing
We Have Been in the Industry Since 1977
Clean, Uniformed, and Certified Technicians
100% Client Satisfaction Guaranteed
Free 2nd Opinions
Free Estimates and Service Calls