We had a freezing cold winter this year, which means many of your heating bills were likely abnormally high. But don't fret, because spring is here and this is one of the easiest times of the year to keep your energy bills under control. In order to help you do that, today we're going to talk about five spring energy saving tips that will help you save money this season!
5 spring energy saving tips
- Use a higher-than-normal thermostat setting. Everyone knows that the higher you set your thermostat, the less energy your air conditioner will consume. Although the Department of Energy suggests that you keep your thermostat at 78 degrees throughout the cooling season to maximize savings, many homeowners find that temperature to be too warm for their homes during summer. But this is spring, and the temperature outside is much cooler than it will be a few months from now. By raising your thermostat to a higher-than-normal setting now, you can save energy while keeping your home perfectly comfortable!
- Open up those windows. Another advantage of the mild spring weather is that you can open up your windows to let cool outside air into your home instead of relying on your air conditioner. So on those perfect spring days, feel free to turn off your air conditioner, open up your windows and let Mother Nature cool your home!
- Make use of your ceiling fans. Often times during spring, your ceiling fans will provide all the relief you need from the warm temperatures outside. So before you turn on your air conditioner, try saving energy by flipping on your ceiling fans instead.
- Don't forget about your A/C tune-up. An air conditioner tune-up will bring your system up to its peak efficiency levels. The sooner you get a tune-up, the longer you'll benefit from the efficiency improvements. Our tune-up appointments book quickly, so call now to schedule yours and avoid a long wait!
- Keep your filter clean. It's always important to keep a clean filter installed in your cooling system in order to prevent airflow issues that will cause efficiency problems. Many people suffer from allergies during spring, so changing your filter every month will also help relieve their symptoms by removing allergens from the air!
If you have any questions about these spring energy saving tips, or if you'd like a cooling system serviced or installed in your home, contact Jerry Kelly, your St. Louis air conditioning contractor. We service the St. Louis area, including towns like O’Fallon, St. Charles and St. Paul, MO.
photo credit: Dricker94 via photopin cc