As with anything you buy, the more features you include in a new air conditioner, the more the up-front cost will be. But the great thing about heating and cooling systems is that higher installation costs almost always translate to long-term energy savings. One feature that most certainly falls into this category is the compressor in a two stage air conditioner. Today we’re going to talk about what a two stage air conditioner is and whether or not it’s worth it to upgrade to this type of system in your home!
A two stage air conditioner is a cooling system with a compressor that operates at two different capacities. Unlike a traditional air conditioner, which has a compressor that is always running at full blast, a two stage air conditioner’s compressor has both a “medium” and a “high” capacity. The “medium” capacity is used when there is a moderate demand for cooling in your home, and the “high” capacity is only used when it’s extremely hot outside and the “medium” capacity isn’t strong enough.
When you look at how much energy each part of your air conditioner consumes, your compressor is near the top of the list. So anything you can do to ease the load on your compressor will significantly lower your cooling bills.
On average, a two stage air conditioner’s compressor uses its “medium” capacity about 80 percent of the time. The remaining 20 percent is left for days with extremely high cooling demands. That means that a two stage air conditioner uses a significantly less amount of energy than a traditional air conditioner a huge majority of the time that it is operating. That’s a whole lot of savings!
In addition, a two stage air conditioner goes through less frequent cooling cycles than a traditional air conditioner. That’s because the high capacity that’s used at all times by a traditional air conditioner will cool your home faster and more forcefully, which shortens its cooling cycles. When you consider the fact that an air conditioner consumes the most amount of energy when it’s starting up and shutting down, you can see how a two stage system will consume less energy by cooling your home more gradually with longer and less frequent cooling cycles.
Saving energy is certainly one of the best reasons to install a two stage air conditioner, but another great benefit is that it will make your home more comfortable. As we mentioned above, a two stage air conditioner will cool your home more gradually because of its “medium” capacity. This means that your home will have less severe temperature swings (only within a few degrees) and will always feel consistently comfortable.
If you don’t mind the slightly higher up-front costs of a two stage air conditioner, it’s definitely worth it to install one. You’ll not only see significant energy savings throughout your system’s lifetime, but you’ll also have a more comfortable home.
If you have any questions about whether or not it’s worth it to install a two stage air conditioner, or if you’d like a cooling system serviced or installed in your home, contact Jerry Kelly, your St. Charles, MO, air conditioning contractor. We provide service all over the St. Louis area, including towns like Maryland Heights, O’Fallon and St. Paul, MO.
ALL of Our Technicians are NATE Certified
We’re Here for You 8:00am - 8:00pm
We Offer a 12 Month Buy Back Guarantee
We'll Never Smoke or Swear in Your Home
There is NO Bait & Switch With Our Pricing
We Have Been in the Industry Since 1977
Clean, Uniformed, and Certified Technicians
100% Client Satisfaction Guaranteed
Free 2nd Opinions
Free Estimates and Service Calls