Many standard air filters do a great job at protecting air conditioners from damage, but those filters are not very effective at improving the quality of the air you breathe. An air cleaner, on the other hand, can provide excellent protection for both your air conditioner and your health. So how do you know if a standard air filter is adequate for your home or if you’d be better off installing an air cleaner? Today we’re going to help you decide by answering the question, “Does my home need an air cleaner?”
Does my home need an air cleaner? 6 signs to look out for
- You have family members with allergies. Allergy symptoms develop when people have allergic reactions to particles in the air such as pollen, dust mites or pet dander. Many of these allergens are too small to be captured by a standard air filter. Although certain filters can trap some allergens, an air cleaner can remove more than 99% of the allergens in your home’s air no matter how small they are. By removing allergens from the source, an air cleaner can greatly improve the symptoms of anyone who suffers from allergies.
- You have family members with asthma. For people who suffer from asthma, symptoms become much more severe in conditions of poor indoor air quality. Many of the same particles that bring on allergy symptoms are also problematic for asthma (dust mites, pet dander and pollen), and airborne particles that cause colds and flus can also be very troublesome for people with asthma. Installing an air cleaner will virtually eliminate these particles from your home’s air and allow people with asthma to breathe much easier at home.
- Your home has smells that won’t go away. Does your home have lingering smells that won’t seem to go away? Many airborne particles that are commonly found in homes give off potent smells that won’t dissipate unless those particles are removed from the air. Installing an air cleaner is one of the best ways to ensure your home always smells fresh.
- You’re concerned about long-term health. When it comes to airborne particles, the ones that are most dangerous to our health tend to be the smallest. So small, in fact, that they are nearly impossible to remove with a standard air filter. If you want to limit your family’s exposure to potentially dangerous airborne contaminants that can lead to health problems after long-term exposure, installing an air cleaner is essential.
- You notice dirt and debris on your supply registers. Do you notice a lot of dirt and debris building up on your home’s supply registers, even if you keep up with your monthly air filter changes? This is a sign that a standard air filter is not powerful enough for your home’s particular air quality. An air cleaner is much more effective and will get the job done right.
- Your air conditioner suffers from dirt buildup. Have you had to make a repair on your air conditioner due to dirt buildup? If you change your filter regularly but your system still won’t stay clean, you should consider installing an air cleaner to provide better protection and avoid future repair calls.
If you have any questions about whether or not your home needs an air cleaner, or if you’d like a cooling system serviced or installed in your home, contact Jerry Kelly, your St. Louis area air conditioning contractor. We provide service all over the St. Louis area, including towns like Ballwin, Chesterfield and Clarkson Valley, MO.
photo credit: striatic via photopin (license)