Spring is the season when we transition from our furnaces to our air conditioners, which makes it a great time to think about how satisfied you are with your HVAC system and consider making improvements before summer arrives. As we get closer to turning off our furnaces for the final time, there are also a few tasks you should take care of before we say goodbye to the heating season for good. Below are some tips you can use this time of year to get your HVAC system ready for springtime!
How to prepare your HVAC system for spring
- Check your air filter. Your air filter sees a lot of action during the winter because your furnace is almost always running and air is constantly flowing through the filter. This means that particles can build up quickly, and your filter is likely ready for a change if it hasn’t been changed in more than a month. Take a look at your filter and change it out with a fresh one if it’s dirty.
- Close your fireplace damper. As we mentioned in our blog about fireplace efficiency, your damper should always be closed when you aren’t using your fireplace. Double-check that the damper is closed so that air doesn’t leak out of your fireplace all summer long.
- Analyze your energy bills. If you have access to your energy bills from last winter, compare them to your bills from this year. Do you see a noticeable spike in your utility costs? If so, this is something you should discuss with Jerry Kelly so that we can go over your options for improving your HVAC system’s efficiency.
- Consider upgrading your air filtration system. Spring allergy season is right around the corner, which makes this a great time to think about upgrading to a higher-efficiency filter or installing an air cleaner.
- Plan for air conditioner thermostat settings. Now is the perfect time to research the best programmable thermostat settings for summer so you can be ready to save energy when the cooling season kicks into full gear.
- Schedule your annual air conditioner tune-up. We saved the best for last, because an air conditioner tune-up is the most important thing you can do to for your HVAC system this time of year. A tune-up will ensure your air conditioner is performing as smooth and efficient as possible.
If you have any questions about how to take care of your HVAC system this spring, or if you’d like a cooling system serviced or installed in your home, contact Jerry Kelly, your St. Charles, MO, air conditioning company. We service the St. Louis area, including towns like Des Peres, Lake St. Louis and Weldon Spring.