After what was a cold and eventful winter, temperatures are finally beginning to warm up in the St. Louis area. That means that we here at Jerry Kelly are setting our sights on spring, which is the season for air conditioner tune-ups! But if you didn’t encounter any problems with your cooling system last year, you might be wondering, “Do I need an air conditioner tune-up every year?” In order to answer that question, let’s take a look at what’s involved in a precision tune-up from Jerry Kelly and how it can improve your system’s performance, efficiency and safety!
What’s involved in an air conditioner tune-up?
An air conditioner tune-up from Jerry Kelly includes a number of different tasks that should only be performed by an experienced and certified technician. A partial list of those tasks includes:
- Measuring refrigerant levels
- Measuring the amperage and volt draw of the compressor
- Checking and cleaning the evaporator coil
- Checking and cleaning the outdoor condenser unit
- Checking drain lines and condensate pain for leaks and blockages
- Inspecting and tightening all wirings and electrical connections
- Inspecting the disconnect box
- Inspecting and testing the thermostat
- Inspecting the fan motor and blades
- Testing and inspecting capacitors
- Lubricating moving parts if needed
- Performing a full-system safety inspection
How will you directly benefit from an air conditioner tune-up?
- Your energy bills will be lower because your system will be brought up to its peak efficiency levels.
- Your home will be more comfortable because we’ll fix any problems that affect your system’s performance.
- You’ll prevent breakdowns in the middle of summer because we’ll uncover operational issues and take care of small problems before they become more serious.
- You’ll lengthen the life of your system because annual tune-ups minimize the amount of stress that your air conditioner undergoes throughout its lifetime.
Do I need an air conditioner tune-up every year?
When you think about your car, would you go years without changing its oil, rotating its tires, checking its alignment and all the other tasks that are required to keep it running safely and smoothly? Sure, the car might still run if you skip those tasks, but the chances of it breaking down will skyrocket.
You should think about air conditioner tune-ups in the same way. Yes, your air conditioner might continue to run if you skip out on your tune-ups. However, doing so will significantly increase the likelihood of future breakdowns, expensive repairs, high energy bills, safety problems and a shorter operating life for your system.
And that’s not to mention the fact that your air conditioner has been dormant all winter long. During that time, it could have developed refrigerant leaks, electrical problems, dirt buildup and a number of other issues that are likely to affect your system in the next month or two.
If you have any questions about whether or not you need an air conditioner tune-up every year, or if you’d like a cooling system serviced or installed in your home, contact Jerry Kelly, your St. Charles heating and cooling contractor. We service the St. Louis area, including towns like O’Fallon, St. Charles and St. Paul.Thermostat “On” or “Auto”, Which Setting Should You Use? » « Install Your Furnace Filter in the Right Direction to Allow for Proper Airflow